ENACTMENT DATE: October 1, 2018
LAST UPDATED: April 1, 2022
A. PERSONAL INFORMATION
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual, such as your name and apress; name of your company or organization; type of organization; area of business; name of division; position; apress of organization; tax number; telephone number; facsimile number; email apress; password; access history; and other SNS related information.
2.Collection of Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information: (a) online – through websites operated by us (the “Websites”), through our social media pages that we control, and/or through HTML-formatted email messages that we send to you, (b) offline – by receiving business cards, requests for our sample products and related materials, inquiries relating to technical aspects of our products, proposals/themes on research and development, and/or filled-out questionnaires at exhibitions, trade shows, academic conferences and/or other similar events, or at our offices, factories and laboratories in Japan or other countries or (c) other sources – from publicly available databases, marketing, joint venture or other partners or clients, and/or our customer service department.
3.Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers use Personal Information for legitimate business purposes including:
- providing the functionality of our services and fulfilling your requests (arranging access to your registered account, and providing you with related customer service; to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, when you contact us via one of our online contact forms or otherwise; to complete your transactions, and provide you with related customer service; and to send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies);
- providing you with our newsletter and/or other marketing materials (to send you marketing related emails, with information about our products and services and other news about us; and to send you our “mail magazines”, and invitations to seminars, exhibitions and other similar events);
- analysis of Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services (to analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve our products and services; to better understand you, so that we can personalize our interactions with you and provide you with information and/or offers tailored to your interests; to better understand your preferences so that we can deliver content via our services that we believe will be relevant and interesting to you; and to send you targeted “mail magazines” and invitations and to propose meetings);
- allowing you to participate in surveys (to ask for you cooperation to fill out our questionnaires to learn about the satisfaction of our customers with us and our products);
- aggregating and/or anonymizing Personal Information (to aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information); and
- accomplishing our business purposes (to improve the efficiency of our services for data analysis; to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements for data audit; to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft for fraud and security monitoring purposes; to develop new products and services; to enhance, improve or modify our current products and services; for our legitimate business interests or those of a third-party, including our commercial partners and/or distributors; to identify usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our services are of most interest to users; to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users; and to operate and expand our business activities, for example, understanding which parts of our services are of most interest to our users so we can focus our energies on meeting our users’ interests).
We will engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and to comply with our legal obligation, because we have a legitimate interest or with your consent.
4.Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose Personal Information to the companies listed on https://www.nikkol.co.jp/en/corporate/group/. Nikko Chemicals Co., Ltd. is the party responsible for the management of the jointly-used Personal Information. Further, we may disclose Personal Information to our third party service providers, to facilitate services they provide to us (e.g., website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other services) and other third-parties who provide services to us, including financial, legal, audit, accounting and other professional services providers and our commercial partners and/or distributors or other third-parties where this is for legitimate interests or legal requirements or pursuant to regulatory or legal requests. By using our services, you may elect to disclose Personal Information on message boards, profile pages and other services to which you are able to post information and content. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. We also use and disclose your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so.
B. OTHER INFORMATION
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual, such as (a) browser and device information; (b) information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies; (c) demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity; and (d) information that has been aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your specific identity.
2.Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways: (a) through your browser or device (e.g., your Media Access Control apress, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of our services you are using); (b) using cookies (e.g., browser type, time spent on the services, pages visited, language preferences, and other traffic data); and (c) via IP apress (e.g., usage levels, server problems, and your approximate location).
3.Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
D. CHOICES AND ACCESS
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by accessing to email@example.com to unsubscribe. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict or delete Personal Information, or object to the processing of Personal Information, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your Personal Information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent such right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us by: firstname.lastname@example.org. In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, and whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of such purchase or promotion).
E. RETENTION PERIOD
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (a) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide our services to you; (b) whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); and (c) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position.
F. THIRD PARTY SERVICES
G. THIRD PARTY ADVERTISING
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use our services and other websites or online services. You may receive advertisements based on information relating to your access to and use of our services and other websites or online services on any of your devices, as well as on information received from third parties. These companies place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. They may also use these technologies, along with information they collect about your online use, to recognize you across the devices you use, such as a mobile phone and a laptop.
H. USE OF SERVICES BY MINORS
The Services are not directed to minors, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from minors. If you are a minor, we ask you to not submit any Personal Information to the Services unless your guardian so permits.
I. JURISDICTION AND CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. By using our services you understand that your information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country.
J. SENSITIVE INFORMATION
Unless we request it, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through our services or otherwise to us.
L. CONTACTING US